Now that we’ve gone over the identification and harvesting of the Chanterelle, let’s take a look at the toxic look a like known as the Jack O Lantern Mushroom. This species is known to be toxic and should never be consumed. It is usually found in the same areas as the Chanterelle and can be identified by its bright orange to yellowish orange color with gills running down the underside of the cap. The Jack O Lantern will usually have a more pointed cap than the Chanterelle and the false gills will be more pronounced. The stem will also be more slender and longer than the Chanterelle.
The Chanterelle mushroom is a great mushroom to forage in the wild. It’s distinct look and unique flavor make it a favorite among mushroom hunters. It is important to remember that there is a toxic look a like known as the Jack O Lantern Mushroom, so it is important to be able to identify the difference between the two. With proper identification and harvesting techniques, you can enjoy this delicious mushroom for years to come.